Pages

Monday, July 16, 2012

30x30 wrap up

Now that my 30x30 wardrobe challenge is over, I'd like to post all of the outfits as way of a summary, pick my favorites, and address some lessons learned.


My favorites were 1, 12, 17, 22, 25, and 27. How about you?

Even though this was both my first 30x30 challenge and adventure into personal style blogging, I knew what to generally expect since I've read about many others' experiences with 30x30. Most people get tired of wearing the same clothes after awhile and seem to find it a bit tedious. I have a pretty high tolerance for tedious things (I mean, come on, I like technical librarianship), so I didn't find it to be overly taxing. There were definitely days when I didn't feel like taking the extra minute or two to figure out an outfit with my picked items, or I didn't feel like getting my picture taken, or I wasn't overly happy with the way the outfit looked, but I pushed through it and am pleased with the end result.

I think the biggest hurdle was definitely the weather. 100+ degree heat plus super high humidity does not make layering getting dressed at all easy. I tried to pick items I could wear in the heat and in cooler weather, but it seemed like I had picked out too many jeans and long or 3/4 length sleeve shirts. I should have picked out a few sleeveless tops and maybe some capris/shorts. I'm definitely looking forward to trying 30x30s out in other seasons so that I can layer more, use more scarfs, etc.

I wore all but my jeans at least once and I tried to wear everything at least twice, but I couldn't squeeze in my light brown and white striped J. Crew shirt and my gray corduroy Gap skirt. I don't know why I included so many jeans since it's rare for me to wear pants much in the summer.

This exercise was definitely eye opening for me since I got to learn both the limits of my closet and new ways to stretch the use of clothing. One thing I discovered was that I own entirely too much blue clothing and not enough accessories. I really need to branch out and try wearing more colorful things. I think a good way to do this would be to start with colorful accessories. I've never been a fan of the color red before, but after seeing other 30x30 bloggers wearing cute red shoes and belts, I'm going to keep my eyes out for some red pieces to add some pop to my wardrobe.

Before this challenge, I wore very, very few of these outfits. In fact, I think I had only worn two or three of these outfits pre-30x30. Looking over my outfits, most of them seem pretty basic. I don't think any of my them were particularly odd looking or didn't look right, so it goes to show how little I had branched out of my comfort zone to create outfits prior to this challenge.

I hope I continue to push myself to remix more whether or not it's documented on the blog. I also hope that I helped to inspire you to take a second look at your own closet to find new outfits that you already own instead of buying new items.

P.S. Here's my overview post, outlining what clothes I picked. If you'd like to see the outfit posts individually, here you go:
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 and 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 and 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30

1 comment:

  1. Ya done good, buddy! I really like numbers 12, 21 and 27, but you did a really admirable remixing job overall.

    I've done two summer 30x30s and a winter one, and I'd love to do one in October or November. I think there's a lot more flexibility afforded by cooler (but not cold) weather, which creates a lot more variety. I've had my fill of 30x30 for now but maybe in the fall I'll be keen on doing another. We'll see!

    ReplyDelete