Pages

Thursday, December 2, 2010

I want my pie in the sky

Like most siblings, my brother and I have some silly inside jokes, mostly revolving around experiences we've shared while we were growing up. For about 6 or 7 years when we were younger, my brother, my dad, and I went to West Virginia every summer to visit my dad's side of the family and to rent a cabin or camp at a state park. One summer, we were driving around small town West Virginia, trying to find a decent radio station to listen to. The airwaves are crowded with country and top 40 in that part of the country, neither of which are favorites of ours. While scanning the stations, the dial landed on a station playing an awful song from the 80s that none of us had ever heard before. We were amazed at the dated cheesiness and we turned it up so that we could hear the lyrics clearly. The words alone had us cracking up and we continued to banter back and forth about the song for the rest of the vacation. Over the years, the song has stuck with us and we bring it up from time to time whenever we're in a silly mood. My brother mentioned the song again over Thanksgiving break, instantly bringing us to stitches. I broke down a few years ago and looked up the song online so I could get the artist's name and, of course, I found the gem on YouTube. And so, I share with you "I Want to Be Rich" by Calloway, the song that never fails to make me giggle.


No comments:

Post a Comment