Pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Life happenings

by finlap via Flickr
It's hard to believe that March is only a few days away. February simply flew by for me!

I've noticed that I usually feel exhausted and antisocial when I get home from work. It feels as though I am working way more now than I did at my old job even though I am working the same number of hours. Maybe I'm just working harder and that's why I feel the way that I do. Regardless, all work and no play is dull.

I've been busy settling into routines and learning my way around my job and city. I'm slowly making friends and being more social. I've even seen an out of town friend a few time whose job and family bring her to the area often (hi, Jen! :-).

I'm trying to be patient with myself and my situation. I'm inclined to tell people who ask that things are going fine, probably as well as they could be going. If I were more honest (pessimistic?), I would say that I'm not loving it, but I'm not hating it either. Most days, I don't really feel like my whole and complete self. My heart is on the east coast while my body is on the west. Missing a lot of people is draining on the spirit.

A coworker invited me to join her book club and for February we read Beyond the Beautiful Forevers which was an engaging, but very sad book about an Indian slum. I'm now reading a biography about the marriage of Robert Browning and Elizabeth Barrett Browning called Dared and Done. I'm about halfway through and reading their letters to one another makes me want to write everyone letters instead of emails and just write in general.

This is my sad, play on repeat jam these days. Really, Waxahatchee's whole album would suit you well if you're looking for something slow and depressing to listen to. The singer, Katie Crutchfield, reminds me of a female Kevin Devine.

What have I enjoyed on the internet lately? Let's see:

I'm a big Downton Abbey fan and have been entertained by this Sesame Street parody and googly eyed Edith.

Grumpy Cat always delights. This time he's dissing Michelangelo and here he is hating on The Beatles.

The 15th century equivalent of your cat walking on your keyboard


Hoping for a great new month ahead!

2 comments: