Pages

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Someday is Today: Water and updates

It's been a few weeks since I last did a Someday is Today post so it's about high time for an update!

Water
First, I've decided to challenge myself to drink more water. I've never been particularly good about drinking enough water throughout the day and now that I've been more intentional about exercising, it's extra important for me to be well hydrated. I'm also very headache prone. Dehydration is one of the main reasons people get headaches, so increasing my water intake should help battle my frequent headaches.

I have a standard sized travel mug/thermos/tumbler that I keep at my desk and fill with water everyday. My guess is that it holds 12 ounces (I should check on this). Before I started paying attention to how much water I drank, I usually only filled this mug up about once a day. Not good.

Since I started being more intentional about drinking more water, I've been filling it up two or three times a day. I want to get up to consistently filling it up three or four times a day. I've noticed a definite decrease in the number of headaches I've had the last few weeks. I'm not sure if the extra water is the only cause for this decrease, but I think it's safe to say that it's been a large factor. Usually, if I feel a slight headache coming on, if I can gulp down some extra water over the course of a half an hour or so, the headache either lessens or goes away entirely. High fives all around!

Now let's talk about some goal updates.

Exercise
I'm very proud of myself for sticking to my exercise goal so closely. I've been swimming every Saturday and doing yoga on Mondays when it's offered. This past Monday, the gym did not offer yoga, so I was SOL. But! My carpool schedule has changed a bit since the guy I ride with started his fall classes this week. Thursdays he has a class that ends at 6:45, so instead of trying to catch a ride home with my dad or take the bus, I went swimming after work and then went home with my carpool buddy. So I essentially made up for missing yoga on Monday. I might not be able to go to yoga this Monday since I'll be in the mountains, so I'm planning to swim on Thursday night again to make up for it. On a "normal" week, I'm planning to do yoga on Mondays and swim Thursdays and Saturdays. I managed to find that third session I was looking for! It's really all about finding those pockets of time that otherwise would have slipped through the cracks.

I noticed that now that I have a plan in place, it's much easier for me to just go and exercise. For me, if I don't have a schedule, I lack the motivation to go and can make up just about any excuse to not go. If I know for sure that on Saturdays I go swimming in the afternoon, then I don't have to have a battle of the wills about it. I just go and do it like it's completely natural for me. Also, once I just go and do yoga or swim, I break down that barrier that tells me that it's too hard and it'll be awful and I prove to myself that it's really not that bad. Momentum achieved!

Acne
Truth be told, I'm not as excited about my acne goal. The last time I updated you all on my progress, I was pretty jazzed about the changes I was seeing. My skin seems to have done a 180 over the last few weeks though and I've had a ton of blemishes, especially around my jaw line. Some blackheads are coming back and adding to my frustration. I'm wondering if my increased exposure to chlorine and the cooler temperatures are causing my skin to react this way. Most of my blemishes are now in the healing stages and so far it doesn't look like any new ones are cropping up. I'm going to wait it out a bit to see if maybe my skin just needed to adjust to the environmental changes.

What kind of headway have you been making with your goals?

No comments:

Post a Comment