Pages

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Updates

Library of Congress
When I got back from DC, I barely managed to get a big gulp of air and finish up my summer class before hitting the road again and traveling to Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, and South Carolina. I got to visit a lot of friends I haven't seen in awhile, as well as add a new state, Kentucky, to my "have visited" list and experience the Biltmore for the first time. My trip partially satisfied my wanderlust and partially fueled it to a greater degree. I'll have to visit Tennessee again in April to defend my thesis (gulp), so I know I'll be taking another road trip in the near future. I'm hoping to expand my travels even further during my next trip, so we'll see where life takes me.

Ever since my visit to DC and visiting four art museums in one day (my feet and legs were hurting like you wouldn't believe), I've been thinking about working at a museum or museum library. This type of work typically requires a masters in museum studies. The university where I work has a museum studies program, so I'd be able to get a second masters for free if I continue to work there while I'm taking classes. I would need to take three art history classes and get some volunteer hours at a museum before I could even apply to the program, so it's a lot to consider. If I enjoy the preliminary work though, I know it'll be a good direction for me. If I don't, I can always stop there and know that it probably isn't a right fit.
The Smoky Mountains viewed from the Biltmore

Focusing on art history would be a switch for me, but I've always said that if I did undergrad over again, I would double major in English and art history. The thought of starting a second masters program when I'm finished with my current one is not something I can easily stomach. I'll definitely need to take a break between the two. While working at a museum library does sound appealing, I think being a curator also sounds pretty awesome. Being able to collect not books, but works of art and doing research for exhibits seems like a pretty nice way to spend your days. It's a lot to think about, but I have plenty of time to figure it out, especially when I know that I'll need a break once this first masters is over. At least, that's what I try to remind myself when I start to fret about the future (i.e. everyday).

No comments:

Post a Comment