Pages

Monday, May 20, 2013

Boston in a nutshell

I jetted off to Boston for a conference in the beginning of this month. While I spent the majority of my time inside the conference center attending meetings and sessions, I did manage to explore the city a little bit. The last time I was in Boston was in 2005 for a day trip with my best friend, so I was well overdue for another visit.

I found a phenomenal place to stay through Airbnb that was only a few blocks away from the convention center. My room was on the third floor of an historic row home and had a rooftop deck that had a great view of the city skyline. The woman who owned the house was such a sweet and interesting person. I wish I had more time to sit and chat with her while I was there. I really cannot recommend Airbnb enough to anyone who's looking for affordable and alternative places to stay while traveling.

Here were some highlights from my short visit to Boston (which, sadly, did not include a baseball game at Fenway):

I crashed a vendor party that was thrown at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. Being served hors d'oeuvres and champagne while circling an indoor garden and listening to a harpist is quite an experience. This woman's eclectic collection and home reminded me very much of the European museums, castles, and estates that I've visited in my time.

I dedicated the morning of my last full day in Boston to walking around the Back Bay area of the city. I saw Northeastern's campus (artsy), the marathon memorial in Copley Square (a tearjerker), Boston Public Garden (in full bloom and especially goregous), and Boston Common (playing second fiddle to the garden). By some stroke of luck, I was in the public garden for the annual tradition of returning the swans to the lake for the summer. The parade and marching band were a great surprise to witness.

I ate very well while I was in Beantown. The top restaurant I went to was Stephanie's on Newbury. I had the very rich and very delicious lobster pot pie.


I found myself very comfortable in Boston. It seemed like a really good sized city with a lot to offer. I hope to visit again soon.

What are some of your favorite Boston haunts?


No comments:

Post a Comment